Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Magical Rats and a Clothing Fairy

This was Ariele and my table at Artists and Fleas this weekend. Ariele made all of those amazing lamps from mostly recycled materials like bunt cake pans and doughnut cutters. They are so beautiful! It was really a bummer how little traffic there was this weekend though. Although sales were depressingly low we entertained ourselves by doing such things as:
and doing collaborative drawings with other bored vendors. (I'm considering getting a real tatoo like this... but if I did it would have to be much bigger-- more of a manly 'stach, I think)
Here I am, patiently waiting for customers that didn't come... BUT, as sad as the weekend sounds (and there were definitely rough parts) I actually had a very lucky weekend! Mikel and I went out on Monday to some excellent vintage/thrift stores where I found a black sequins dress. I was thinking, "hrmm, I would like some more summer clothing too." Because NYC is hot as H-E double hockey sticks right now. Anyway, Mikel and I were totally bonked-- in dire need of some grub and a cool beer. A couple of veggie burgers and slight tipsiness later we walked home to find two bags full of amazing clothing on our front steps waiting for the recycling truck. OK, I know you're thinking "eww! What about bed bugs?!" but as I was looking through the bags it was obvious that they were organized by someone who had just moved out and didn't have the energy to bring them to a clothing drop. We brought them in you won't believe it but they are all exactly my size! Even her shoes! I think the clothing fairy felt bad that I had such a bad sale weekend and decided to give me about $500 worth of clothes and a handbag shaped like a chicken! I'll have to post an image of that for you soon.

Speaking of luck, I forgot to tell you about my the magical rat that sat on my foot a few weeks ago. Mikel and I went to eat at a cool place in Bushwick called the Northeast Kingdom. On the way home we walked to a cool building that sits on a sight that was a plantation in 1612. As were were looking through the fence at little kids playing flashlight tag in the grass and smelling the trees (something we can't really do in our neighborhood) I felt n on my foot. I am so used to Dr. Pancake hanging around my feet that I wasn't startled. I looked down and there was a cute little rat sitting on my toes! (yes, I know it's weird that I think rats are cute) anyway, when I looked down is scurried away. I think it was an auspicious moment... but what could it mean?

Hope you are all well! I'm headed to Arizona to meet my new niece, Sophia, on Tuesday so I will hopefully post some more good stuff on here before I head to the desert.

9 comments:

Clare & Tim said...

That rat would have been kicked halfway to Colorado if I had found one on my foot! Eek!

Katie said...

Must see individual pick of big bobbeling yellow, pink, red things. Droooooool! Love the new earrings.

ashdebeaula said...

oops!The comment form Katie was from me. I think someone else was on my computer over the weekend and didn't sign out. I wasn't paying attention.Oops.

elisa said...

I'm glad you were able to make the best of a slow show. Looks like you guys had some fun.

I can't believe you didn't freak out with the rat. Even when I had been living in NYC for 10 years, they would still startle and scare me.

megan bisbee said...

Ever since I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I thought NY rats were supposed to be huge and gross but I have to admit I find them super cute. I'm sure my opinion would change if one bit me but so far the worst they've done is sit on me ;-)

I will post pics of the bobble earrings soon! I LOVE them!! I can't believe they didn't sell because they are stellar.

Thanks for the comments!!! xo

Michelle Summers said...

Megan, I love finding free stuff so I know how stoked you must have been. What is your clothing size by the way? Oh and a tat of a stash on your finger like that would be amazingly adorable. Do it.

megan bisbee said...

My clothing size is either 2 or 4 depending on what it is and my shoe size is usually 9. (TMI? haha)

Thanks for the stash tat encouragement ;-) I may just have to get it! xoxo

Michelle Summers said...

There are a lot of trendy hipsters in my building that put out really cool "and expensive" clothes into the free communal area. So I will keep my eye out for those sizes.

megan bisbee said...

Thanks Michelle! That would be awesome! xoxo