Wednesday, February 28, 2007

lesson of the day

Ok, lesson number one for today is to ask good questions. For example, making a vet appointment and making sure it's actually in the town I live. Poor little fluffy cat-of-doom-and-cuteness had his first ride in the car for nothing. I think he still loves me...Does anyone have tips about cats and fleas? I used frontline flea poison (like advantage) and I don't think it worked. Any tips? Florida is a crazy flea heaven.

Weekdays are slower for me in Craft Land (where my jewelry business is located). Overlapping my current full-time nanny job and the beginning of Beaded Weeds is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich: crunchy and sticky but also sweet and satisfying. I added about five more pairs of earrings to my Etsy site on Monday night and plan to add more as the week progresses. I think I am finally getting the hand of pricing although obviously my work on Etsy isn't getting a lot of sales. I seem to sell much more when I actually am at a craft/art show. I wonder if this is true for most crafters/artists?

Here's to another day in Nanny Land. I wonder how many more lessons I will learn today...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I happened to be browsing around the Internet looking up the name of my business, IdeaSprout, and I stumbled upon your blog and ETSY site!

Funny thing is that my wife is also starting a business with handmade crafts. She does a lot of crochet work. Right now she's building BigHeadGear.com - since I, her head model, have a big head, it's a good fit - and she's looking for ways to get her brand out there, like you.

I have some experience in craft sales, and the business is always better at fairs and shows. My wife and I used to go to fairs for a local business that made aloha print accessories and related Polynesian regalia. We did fairly well with it. You will do well, too. I like your style!

If your interested, I could help you build your business the same way I am helping my wife. Mostly on the Internet, but in traditional marketing as well. I am a consultant for small businesses but don't charge the same way consultants normally do. Basically, I won't get paid, until you see your business grow. Anyway, if you're interested please contact me via my website or at nathan@ideasprout.com.

In any case, Good Luck!

megan bisbee said...

Thank you for contacting me! Beginning this blog, like beginning my business, feels like giving a speech in an abandoned basement: kinda lonely but important at the same time. It is more helpful than you know to get feedback. I won't need specific advice for a few months. I'm in the process of moving and changing jobs (from being a nanny to full-time artist). After that I will definately get in touch. I think our choice to use "ideasprout" is fantastic!
The color scheme on BigHeadGear.com is just right: looks like hat weather. Are all of the hats/caps/beanies designed by your wife? Made by your wife?

Anonymous said...

Yes, all of the hats are designed and made by my wife. Have you had success using etsy.com?

megan bisbee said...

So far I have not had much success with etsy but I have not spent any time trying to market myself. The most I have done is handed out some business cards to people who like my earrings on the street and to people who bought or tried on earrings at a local art/craft show I participated in. My sales at the show made me feel good about my prices which I was feeling nervous about (since many etsy crafters price their work very low). Now I think I may need to work on marketing and getting more products on there.

megan bisbee said...

I would like to update this conversation by letting readers know that I officially sold a pair of earrings on ETSY and got rave reviews! Etsy really does rock. I'm just slowly growing into it.