Sunday, July 6, 2008

Workshop-a-roo

The beading workshop was a total success yesterday!  

Mikel and I were giddy with relief and excitement when it was all through.  I had a total of 15 people with three very crafty boys in that group.  The most important thing I learned was that I love teaching workshops! 

Mikel and I were a little late arriving at the building for the workshop (due to a little flea market shopping and some seriously fast scarfing of Indian food with Sarah at our favorite restaurant in Matsumoto).  Although the last minute scrabble for a DVD player and to organize all of my materials was stressful, many people arrived late anyway so I started my presentation at a really good time.  Mikel made coffee, we set out snacks including some vegan chocolate cake and blueberry scones we had baked, and got down to some beading fun.

I learned a lot about the range of abilities in a workshop class.  I had some very beginner beaders and some people who have beaded before but maybe not using the techniques I taught.  I had people who asked really great questions, people who could learn best from my "idea book" (which worked a little like a manual).  Some beaders kept to themselves but created amazing designs in their four hours of focus.  I think everyone was excited about what they had made in the end.  The best moments are when people suddenly understand something new and get a certain look of excitement and pride on their faces.  I love it!

I was nervous for the workshop, of course!  It was my first one and there were a lot of unknowns.  The funny thing is that Mikel was WAY more nervous that I was.  He was a really nice guy and tried to hide it from me (although his nervous silence made the air as thick as pudding on the way up to Matsumoto). It was really great how the stress just melted off of him by the end so that we were both maniacs with excitement during our "parking lot picnic" after the workshop.
What a relief and an accomplishment!  
I am so proud of myself for trying this new experience out in Japan.  It took a lot of hard work but now I can just relax and start packing for my trip to Vermont next week.  I could not have done it without the help of Sarah Kissler (who is in the middle of getting ready to move back to Canada from Japan) and Mikel who proves to be the best assistant and technical support anyone could want.  
Thanks Sarah and Mikel!!!!!

I am really excited for my next workshop, but for now, I need a break!


2 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Congrats on the work shop, wish I could have been one of your students. Oh and you and Mikel are too cute for words.

Ali Tomek, Staff Writer said...

I absolutely love your work! I definitely wish that I could have been at your workshop - too bad I don't live in Japan.