Friday, October 30, 2009

Masking

Hello again gals and pals!  I wanted to further explain my mask of exceptional pinkness seeing as it is Halloween weekend AND because I love masking.  
The setting:  a final masked bonfire/dance party at Vermont Studio Center.   
The idea:  it's me in 50 years.  
I decided that by then, I will probably have grey or white hair and therefore will be easily able to dye it pink (or to add pink extensions!)  And why stop there? I think a beehive will be just the thing to express my love of life and all things pink.  Also, I've heard it's really easy to keep things in a beehive such as pencils, rainbows and snacks for later (in their packaging, of course!)  
Masks are a really cool project as they have sort of a magic to them.  They can bring out characteristics in the wearer and the maker that might otherwise remain hidden.  Masking is a huge part of Voodoo traditions and is really interesting to me.  When I wore this mask I was trying to decide what characteristics it brought out in me but couldn't decide.  Perhaps I was more enthusiastic...  is that possible?

The artists in the picture with me are (from left to right):  
Here's Michelle's AMAZING mask she made out of found materials that included a Tampax box, some tape spools and something else equally cool.  I think she belongs in the movie City of Lost Children whenever I see this photo.  

On a final note, I wonder how many Michael Jacksons we will see this weekend?  
Happy Halloween!



No comments: