Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love, Work, Play and Inspiration

When I returned home last Friday night from my yoga teacher training this is what I found!  Mikel had cut "Megan" and "Yogi" out of silver paper and hung it in the dining room before leaving for work that morning.  So cool!  

I am officially a Kripalu Yoga Alliance certified instructor!!  The transition back into the "real world" has been strange, colorful and slow.  I can already feel the everyday stress pulling my eyebrows together and twisting me up into a puckered pretzel.  I met with another yoga teacher friend yesterday for tea and he told me that I seem stressed or sad.  The truth is, I am loving my life here in NYC pursuing my "real" work yet I just feel like I am pulled in a million different directions in the effort to get my work flowing.  I have a hunch that if I do less in my day and if what I do is done with mindfulness and zest, my eyebrows will more naturally relax on the sunny beach of my brow and my body will only reference a snack food if I ask it to (twizzler-asana? mmmmm...)

So here's a big question lately: is it OK (healthy?) to use my youthful energy to pursue my dream job as if I'm wildly chasing down a pack of deer?  And if so, will it actually come to fruition the way I dream, with both rewarding hard work and delicious leisure?  OR, is my life now the way it will always be so should I therefore allow deadlines to be less strict, my opportunity radar to take a weekend off and my feet to be resting so sweetly up on something comfortable at least once a day while I take deep breaths?  After all, if my life will always be like it is now doesn't it make sense to incorporate daily what I wish to be in my day forever?

I think it may be possible to do both: work hard and relax hard.  If I had a chalice right now I would lift it to "live today like I want to live every day!!"  

Now to put that into action...
For my "work hard" category today I hooked up our new printer that my sister and her husband gave us for Christmas.  (I feel to supported in my crafting dreams!)  I started right away today printing some greeting cards and my new business cards.  It's like magic!

To help me practice relaxing and enjoying life a bit more, here's Calliope who is trying to adopt us... and who I am having a seriously hard time refusing...  She has some mad crazy relaxing skills.

The key to all of this happiness-in-life stuff, in my opinion, is finding inspiration.  My inspiration for the day (well one inspiration) is this artist, Pim Palsgraaf.  

Sweet love, sweet work, sweet play and sweet inspiration!  I wish it for everyone!

3 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan,
I was just pondering this the other day; why do I live my life like a chicken with its head chopped off trying to do everything? So I came to a decision for this New Year. I will only commit myself to 3 things. Meaning I have to be selective and pick only the most important things I want to do. Now of course I know myself well enough that I’ll fudge this a little, but etsy and a new health regiment are not included. Anyways the point is I am going to be more thoughtful and happy with the fewer things I do than with a whole lot of insanity.
Keep working hard but don’t overload, it will all work out as long as you don’t give up. And you should slow down a midge to enjoy life and look forward to being in the studio. I think that’s why the wind came because I had written off everyone and everything for most of the year doing shows. In fact I think my work suffered because I was so focused. I’ll tell you all about that in March, take care and take a little time for you. I can’t wait to see you guys, and thanks for the posts on my blog!
Hugs ~M

megan bisbee said...

I love that image: a chicken with its head cut off. That's exactly how I feel often. I'm trying to stop and breathe when I feel that way. It doesn't always work because I usually notice how uncomfortable I am and realize many things I need to change to relax (for example, how uncomfortable my computer station is at home...) I love the idea of committing to three things. For my three things I will choose: 1) allowing there to be relaxation in part of every day; 2) Take new leaps in my business; 3) To treat my studio like a sacred space.
I forgot to ask you: did you use the shattered ceramics to make mosaic art? It would be the most amazing mosaic ever! xoxo

Julia Lines said...

oh i love this sculpture so so so much- dreaming of living there in one of those buildings! thanks for sharing his work!
i also wanted to tell you that my sister saw your last show at the firehouse gallery! (such a small world- funny how burlington and brooklyn have been intertwined in my life- the surprise of burlington being a sort of door- unexpected) and i tell you now since it has been so long, and i didn't want to forget!!