Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cool Hats, Beanster and Blog Shiftings

Happy sunny Brooklyn Wednesday!

Lately I have been thinking a lot about what my blog means, who I hope would read it, and why. I decided that my blog is the public reflection on my own path toward finding my "real" work in life (real meaning something that allows me to deepen my everyday experience and work that contributes to lasting happiness and peace). It truly is a path full of beautiful vistas where I can see the big beautiful picture of my life and also brambly forests and mud puddles where I wish I had just stayed home in my warm bed eating a mountain of pancakes and watching Northern Exposure.

I have noticed that there is a lot of writing and press about artists, what they make, and what inspires them. I love that wealth of information and am happy to tap into it whenever I need that kind of zesty, juicy pick-me-up in the inspiration, motivation department. For example, today I discovered this AMAZING hat maker, Zara Carpenter, on etsy.


What I notice about this focus on the products of the art making process I think that we are missing an essential dialogue about where these things come from. I believe that "good" art is the physical manifestation of one's inspiration that went into making it. That's why some art is well crafted but seems "dead" while totally untrained artists can make totally transcendent, stellar work. Why? How does this happen? How can art making be a fearless life adventure and tool for looking deeper into our experience rather than just a factory process to make something for others to buy? How can this process live harmoniously within the marketplace? (because I am surely not implying that we all just become art monks and nuns, giving up the possibility of making a living from what we love to do.) What does it mean to be on a path? Why would I even want to be on such a path? Can we be on a path and not even know it? (yes, I think so.)

What I have been curious about lately is collecting writing about artists' processes and the connections between the studio and the rest of life. Why do we make what we make? Why do we make anything at all? What is your individual experience in your studio? Is there a conscious link between spirituality and art-making for some artists? How does your art-making connect to the rest of your life? It's all about the process and less about the work (although there will be that too, of course!)

Therefore, starting soon, I will be posting the writings of other creative people on such topics while also continuing to blog about my own. I would like this blog to be a resource for anyone who is creative or wants to find more creativity in their life. I would like this blog to inspire and foster self-reflection and more awareness of ourselves as creative people. I believe that, as awareness expands, it increases the potential to live in a way that is true to ourselves, our real work, and leads to lasting happiness and peace.

If you find interesting readings, videos, artists, etc. please let me know so I can find a way to contact them (or you!) and allow this blog to grow!

On that note, I'll leave you with a new pic of Calliope and the beanster.

4 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan,

I think my favorite part of the process is imaging the manifestation of the making, like one thinks about eating cake.

Can't wait to see you guys next week and I want to pet the kitten!

megan bisbee said...

Hey Michelle! I can't wait to see you either! Dr. Pancake's eyes are opening so you see a whole new guy!

I like what you said about imagining the manifestation of the making. I was just talking to my friend Julie about the philosophy of the desired object: once you have it is no longer the desired object. So in the realm of making art, once it's made, the desire moves to a new imagined manifestation? (once we eat the cake we look forward to a glass of soda water?)

Thanks for your comment!

Unknown said...

Hi Megan~ I found you through a mutual blog friend - Mud. I enjoyed this post. Just wanted to let you know I've got some similar thoughts as well... and well, that's worth something! http://theartistfarm.com/ideas/?p=191

Ben

megan bisbee said...

Thank you, Ben, for sharing that you have similar thoughts. One of the most important things that places of conversation such as a blog can offer is the knowledge that there are like-minded people out there. I love your website/blog! I'm adding it to my "blogs I follow". Have a great week!