Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Are mushrooms animals?

Moon Calories (detail)

Moon Calories

This is my new installation that I finished on Sunday and attempted to document last night (I am finally at the point where I need to retire my 6 mega pixel camera and invest in a sweet SLR digital camera. For now, this is the documentation I have.) I named it Moon Calories because I was recently reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and he talked about how mysterious mushrooms are-- not just the magic type but mushrooms in general. One of the mysteries he mentioned was the fact that mushrooms possibly get their energy from the moon rather than the sun. What an amazing idea! It seems like moonlight would spawn and nurture amazing creatures and landscapes that exist by different rules as organisms that depend on the sun for food. As I was making this sculpture I suddenly thought, "If I ate this I bet I would ingest moon calories!"

Dying Sculpture #3:
(onions, uncooked spaghetti, lemon peel, an olive, pita, mustard and yogurt)

Already, since I made this sculpture this morning it has changed. The spaghetti has wilted. Everything seems to want to return to the ground...

I would love to find large terrarium jars to make these living and dying sculptures in.

Yoga class was cancelled yesterday so there is no theme to share with you today. I DO however have a stellar book to recommend: The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life by John Daido Loori. Much of my thinking and practicing has been inspired by this book lately. John Daido Loori is a photography and an American Zen master. He offers amazingly practical and enriching philosophies and practices to bring into your creative practice.

I hope you are having a fantastic Tuesday!

2 comments:

Meredith Bailey said...

speaking of books... I'm in the middle of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Have you heard of it? It's non-fiction, her family spending a year of eating local only food.

megan bisbee said...

Yes! I LOVED that book!!!! It was super inspiring and I know I will read it a few more times in the future.