Monday, October 13, 2008

Mud Huts

I`m at the bummer school again (therefore too few blogs).

The most important and exciting news of my week is a new book I`m reading called Animal Vegetable Miracle. It is so inspiring. My creative moments of the day yesterday were spent designing our future "mud hut" (as my brother-in-law likes to call it) that we want to build in Vermont, including an ambitious garden I want around it. I have a lot to learn before I can build a cob house and garden, but I am SOOOO ready to live more sustainably. In the face of this crazy economy I think it is my calling (and hopefully others` as well) to learn basic things that could allow me to live the way I want--frivolity and all-- by doing it sustainably. The best part is designing a sunlight filled studio and kitchen. Also a greenhouse off the kitchen and a cob pizza oven on the patio. My dream house!!!

I must admit I am going a little too fast for my own good. I`ve even been researching alternatives to septic systems and a new solar panel recently invented by Nichole Kuepper which is made using an ink-jet printer, nail polish and remover in a pizza oven. Yay! Hopefully by the time we need it, we will be able to get information about how to make these solar panels. Mikel asked me if I`m nesting. I suppose I am a bit, but I have always been excited to design my own living space in a green, sustainable way and now that it is in the near future, I see it as the ultimate art project!

Happy October!

1 comment:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan you are n inspiration as always for eco friendly living. I have been a reuse fanatic this year saving anything I can use later for packaging for my ceramic sales. Even if my customers walk away looking like they had just shopped at Trader Joes at least I know the bag got an extra use before getting recycled. As far as the nesting thing, its just fun to do, I know where you’re coming from ;)