Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Roosters and Structures

These are my rooster babies that I painted when I lived in Florida.  My friend Kathy Gibson sold another one for me.  She lives in Tampa, FL and runs an awesome art space out of her beautiful and stylish bungalow-style (I think that's how I could describe it??) Florida home.  She said the buyer bought the red one so I am guessing it is the on in the first row, second from the left, or the one in the third row on the right.   The buyer said it made her smile.  They all make me smile with the humanity that comes through in their awkwardness and their eyes which give the roosters such weird personalities.

My roosters started because I was just playing around with recognizable imagery at the time when I met Kathy.  She came to my studio to see my work and happened to see a rooster on the floor-- my dirty DIRTY studio floor.  That was the dawning of a beautiful rooster friendship (at the dawning of Kathy and my friendship).  Now that I am painting recognizable imagery more seriously (OK, I only started about a week ago, but still, I am serious) it is really interesting how just a whim or experiment can inspire a whole body of work.  I think it is the best part of my practice to follow my whims.  Also, I realize that sometimes the best work comes out of a process that I am not totally comfortable with.  It keeps my eyes and decisions fresh.

And why don't I have any images of my new work to post?  Because I am lazy.  Tomorrow I will go to Nagoya to get my new work visa and try again to find the "Key to Paradise", but maybe on Friday (Halloween) I will post a freakin' painting.  We'll see.  Until then...

Again, not my work, and again I don't know who the artist is.  
(If someone reading this does, please write it in the comments...)
I love it, though.


My new favorite painter again.

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi Meg!

I'm tagging you! see my blog for rules.

hurray!
Stephanie