Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Enough Saturation and Vampires

Ok, it's not a creative title, but I named this one "Beach Babes 2" because it is from the same photo as the one in my last post.  This time the three of us (my sisters and I) almost keep  our form as humans... I did say almost.  I LOVE the greenish yellow in the bottom left background.  I think it might be called "puce", perhaps even "florescent puce".  Is it still possible to request crayon colors to have certain names?  I would like some florescent puce crayons (of course I will probably have to pay extra seeing as this color is considered the most obnoxious of all and therefore I would be the only person who would buy crayons this color.  What's stopping me?)
I learned a valuable lesson from my husband today: the Hue/Saturation tool in Photoshop is my friend.  I am ashamed to point out that the painting in this post is more or less correct to the actual piece whereas the first of the Beach Babes is a little on the dull side. Just ignore it... or come see it in person sometime...

This was my Christmas gift to my Mikey.  I made a bazillion ornaments this year for some folks for the holidays, but none quite this sassy.  Sometimes I just can't be stopped when I have a hot glue gun in my hand (actually it is usually the actual glue gun that stops me.  I get so excited that I forget that if I touch the HOT glue while trying to shift something, it will STICK TO ME AND BURN, hence the whole "hot glue" part.  I use low heat glue mostly these days so my fleshy phalanges are fresh and ready for any hot glue gun battles that might come their way.  But I'm getting carried away with myself.  Lets talk about actual Blartwork:
This is a sketch.  I like to call it "2D3D Sketch" (as of two minutes ago when I corrected the colors in Photoshop and then saved it).  
Here's it's friend "2D3D Sketch #2, or b"( whichever you like).
I am forever drawn to painting AND gluing lots of stuff together into sculpture-like goodness.  This has ultimately lead to a desire to combine 2D ad 3D stuff in a way that I like as much as I like my painting and sculpture separately (dare I say, more than my painting and sculpture?  Why else would I keep making art?).  

I am currently on a manic roll applying once again to residencies AND a cool show I really hope I get into.  It is called Human=Landscape and it will be at the Firehouse Gallery on Church Street in Burlington, VT.  You can see the guidelines for the show through the link.  

I am proposing a "Landscape of Enough."  Basically I think that the changes in our landscape and environment right now are forcing us to realize that "we have too much" and we don't know what to do with it (it's too much because we let it be wasted and not appreciated).  This is ironic since capitalism is based on the mantra, "we don't have enough."  I am proposing the idea that "too much" can become "enough" (as can "not enough").  I will make a mini landscape-like installation combining 2D and 3D (of course!), light, and perhaps some basic robotics trickery to create a beautiful and maybe sinister/spooky place that holds optimism for human creativity but also stands as a memorial or ghost of what was before.  yay!  Even if I don't get into the show, the parameters of the show totally whet my whistle for a new way to think about making my work.

Off to try to make something (rather than be lured into reading one of the two new juicy books that just came into my possession: A Wild Sheep Chase my Haruki Murakami and the fourth book the Twilight series...  I am ashamed to admit that I am a sucker for romance, especially when it pertains to mythical creatures or magic.)  I'm just going to say it right now-- the books are probably going to win.  It's 8:30 pm!  I work better in the mornin'.  Good night!  

PS.  Don't make fun of me for reading about vampires.  All the cool kids are doing it.

2 comments:

MMS said...

Megan,

I love the twilight series too, you are not alone. Besides vampires are very hot and cool, it’s like the alternative to the good girl likes the bad boy cliché. I am digging the newest painting and sculpture mesh you are doing, can’t wait to see more of it. Good luck with the applications and best of luck!

Clare & Tim said...

Edward Cullen....*sigh*