Sunday, March 29, 2009

Trip of Enough

I'm back!  The jet lag wasn't as bad as I had worried and Mikel says I look healthier now than when I left.  I think I was just glowing to be back in Alfred.  It was heaven to be able to speak English and to speak to people who like art.  I talked to everyone I could: friends, teachers, people who I recognized from when I lived in Alfred but never knew their names, people at the airport, random people at the Galleria mall in Buffalo, anyone at all interested in chatting, really.   I never realized how much I have been trapped inside myself here due to language and cultural barriers.  Fascinating, really.  It's like I had taken a mini vow of silence and decided to take a week off.  I really feel like myself again.

My slide talk was really fun to give and totally inspired me to get back in my studio right away.  Above you can see some more bits I added onto my "Landscape of Enough."  I will be adding 2D/wall-based elements soon so I moved my entire studio across the room today to be able to utilize the wall space.  It doesn't make for the best room composition, but I have less than two months left here so it's more important that I finish this piece than worry about fen shui (I should really start packing soon anyway so I can figure out what to get rid of and how we are going to get the rest of it to Vermont.)  I have a few more days before the new school year starts.  I plan to go from eating to studio to movie watching to eating to studio to movie watching.  Sleep is in there somewhere too.   

Happy Spring!

2 comments:

ashdebeaula said...

Hey There,

Just thought I would let you know that I am a current reader of your blog. It was so good to see you and very fun to be back in Alfred. I am glad your trip was great. I wish I could have seen your slide show. I am sure it was very interesting and well crafted. When you are back in the states you and Mikel must at some point come visit J and I in Buffalo. I totally have a new activity we must do. We went to a roller derby last night. The women were super tough. The match was the Suicide Saucies vs. the Devil Dollies. Seriously, any event were men and women are excited drink bad beer and hold hot pink signs with gold glittery words that say Talk Derby to Me, Hold the Sauce, and Sauce on the Side is a worthy event. Any way I wish you studio goodness.

Ashley

megan bisbee said...

Thanks Ash! I love that you are a reader of my blog! It makes me inspired to write interesting things :) I can't wait to see you and J again this summer!!!
xoxo
p.s. Yes to roller derby!