Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Moving Cupcakes

I didn't make these but found this picture while looking up ideas for the cupcakes I will decorate for my sister's wedding (they will look nothing like these, though).  
I am sandwiched between two big things in my head right now; my "Landscape of Enough" and the wedding.  Mikel told me that I have been really quiet lately (which made me wonder what I usually talk about...) so I must be either really at peace in my process, or so dug into my mind that nothing can come out in words, only through art-making.  I am about to make a trip to the store for some more supplies and then I will have the whole day to keep digging in. 

This is a kinetic sculpture made by Meridith Pingree.  I found her website yesterday and watched some of her kinetic sculptures on Youtube and found my new calling.  I e-mailed her hoping that she would be up for sharing some sort of lead for me to follow toward this new endeavor and she gave me a ton of awesome info: books to check out, websites to buy stuff from, etc.  Thanks Meridith!  The internet is an amazing thing for connecting to people and sharing information.

Off to the store!

3 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

It really is just amazing how the internet has connected us together. Good luck with your work as always, Michelle

mudly said...

when people tell me im being quiet, or shy, i usually already know that i am, but its because something about where i'm at doesn't lend itself to speaking. it tends to have something to do with comfort level- either with my surroundings or my thoughts. but always when someone else mentions it it seems to just exacerbate the quietness.

megan bisbee said...

Thanks Michelle! It's just too bad the internet is one of the only ways you and I can "see" each other. Someday it will be in person again!

Mudly,
I totally agree that my quietness usually comes from doing something that isn't concrete enough to be labeled with words. When someone expresses discomfort with my silence, I usually start an internal struggle between wanting to be more comfortable for the other person and realizing that when I talk so much it blocks my internal flow. It's important to allow that internal flow to take its course. I think it is the most important part of being an artist. That's why it's important to have separate space to make work and for artist couples like Mikel and I to be able to do things like residencies and take trips apart from one another. It not only gives us space, but it refreshes us for when we can be together again. The great thing about both being artists is that we understand when the other person needs space or creative time. Thanks for the comment!!