Thursday, April 16, 2009

DIY Color and Bug Blood

This is the book I`m reading now. I am always trying to be conscious about where my food, clothing and other things I buy come from to limit my carbon footprint and thus keep my impact on the world neutral or positive. This book has made me realize that I have no idea where my paint comes from or the history of certain colors, pigments and paints. In this book history rides on the thread of color.
Of course with education comes information that can be quite shocking. For example, the day I bought this book, I also bought some chap stick with a reddish tint. The reddish tint comes from the ingredient called "Carmine". From this book I learned that if the chap stick company were to write the layman`s term for carmine in parentheses next to the official name, they would write "insect blood". Yum! It really is delicious, though, the chap stick, I mean.
Just some food for thought... or thought for food?
This book is leading me into a more DIY paint-making practice as well as a desire to seek out the history and importance of certain colors as I travel. I wonder what Japan has to offer?

No comments: