Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Butter Futter and Christmas Lover

Although teaching English in Japan might seem unrelated to being an artist, it has actually expanded my bag of creative tricks.  When I first started this job I was just itching to add some whimsy to the teaching materials.  The textbook is quite dry and the school is a bit conservative.  This job is really what you make of it yourself.  

Anyway, the previous ALT wrote stories about his experiences for the students to listen to, take notes on and answer questions about.  I decided to make my stories a bit more ridiculous.  I invented a character named Butter Futter.  He has a best friend named Snakey Snake (from Mexico) and a newer friend named Christmas Lover.  

In the above picture you can see Butter Futter giving a tree to Christmas Lover as a house warming gift.  Also, you can see more Christmas Lovers standing on a knife's edge above them.  

Before my time in Japan, I rarely drew recognizable imagery but I really love whimsical characters and beautiful, dream-like landscapes (that's one of the many reasons I have always loved Michelle Summers work).  Teaching English in Japan gave me a reason (although it's sad that I felt I needed one) to play with my own characters.  I think any job I've had has given me inspiration for new art.  When I was a nanny, I expanded my jewelry and drawing techniques.  When I worked at a coffee shop I thought more about making t-shirts.  Although my goal (in the near future!) is to be a self-employed artist, I appreciate what I have stumbled onto through working random, non-art jobs.  The more limits I have, the more creative I am.

More to come!


1 comment:

Michelle Summers said...

Thanks Megan, you are one of the greatest sources of inspiration for myself, so I'm glad I could return the favor just a little.