Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Tower Speaker" and my Plastic Soap Box

"Tower Speaker"

My awesome husband recently finished a bunch of new sculptures and added them to his website.  It isn't until now that he is sort-of allowing me to announce his new works and website additions to people.  He's much more humble than I am.  I really love his work and I'm really lucky to be able to share a studio with him (even when I am totally jealous of his amazing productivity).

"Blue Bust"

"TEAMHEADERSTEAM"


The Plastic Era

Mikel and I were talking on our walk to the grocery store yesterday about how sad we are that everything is made of plastic and therefore breaks easily and is usually irreparable.  Not that I don't LOVE plastic.  My art (and Mikel's) and jewelry wouldn't be the same without it.  Most of the plastic we use, though, is found, recycled or purchased at a thrift store.  I am drawn to plastic because of my optimism about being able to make treasure from trash, and because I love the color and texture of plastic.  I also don't have a problem with the fact that plastic discolors and becomes brittle in time. 

My problem with the world's addiction to plastic is that it is directly correlated with our loss of basic skills: sewing, woodworking, cooking, fixing cars, gardening, making paint, etc.  Someday (we estimated 200 years) we will realize that mass produced plastic doesn't last long, pollutes our environment and enables us to never learn down-to-earth skills.  These grounded skills support a philosophy of abundance and creativity. 

I'm not suggesting a boycott of plastic or an instant reconstruction of our culture.  I'm just suggesting that we take the time to learn some down-to-earth skills and allow that experience to show us that everything we've ever wanted, we already have.  

4 comments:

ashdebeaula said...

Hey There,

I checked out Mikel's website and I love his new work. I haven’t ever really seen his work or heard his music. It is funny how you can tell the work that is made at Alfred. It has Alfred colors and style.(or at least I think I can) I also like that I can see the dialogue you have together. You both have your own very unique styles. I can see in your art work and in Mikel's how you inspire each other. Plus, how did you let him get a hold of all of the toilet paper rolls? Is that what they are? Any way I love the work that comes from both of you. I miss crafty artsy but not fartsy people. Talk to you later.

Ash

megan bisbee said...

Hey Ash! Thanks for the feedback. I always want to post more about Mikel's work (since it is always here for me to look at and think about) but he usually doesn't want me to write anything. I think he deserves to have more people looking at his work. I think he makes awesome stuff. He has been on a roll and is even making movies now with our new video camera. I'm quite jealous (in a good inspired way) of his ideas lately. It's hard for me to not make sculptures now, but I have to stop myself because I already have too many that will move back to VT with me.
I totally got the other half of the TP roll collection. We have A LOT (in fact, we we have so many more... do you want some? haha)
I can't wait to see you guys this summer!!!
~m

Michelle Summers said...

Mikel's work is fantabaristic. I had to make up a new word just to express my delight. You two are a powerful force of creative energies, I'm surprised your home has not blown up from all the creative output.

Megan, I have a confession..... I have your x-mas gift still sitting by my TV.. I'm so embarrassed.. Would you still like me to send it to you in japan, it will arrive a little before you come back to the states. I feel so bad about it as you sent me such a lovely and yummy gift. I feel like a Joseph Cornell.

megan bisbee said...

Michelle,

thanks for the feedback about Mikel's work. He appreciates it. I think he is tired of getting feedback from me. It's like when your mom tells you you're cute-- mom's and wives are supposed to be nice, right? haha. Of course I'm always honest, he just doesn't trust it.

Sometimes I think our apartment might blow up. I don't know what we're going to do when we get all of our "stuff" back that's been stored at my parents. We have way too much artwork... Oh well. I shouldn't complain ;)

Also, it's almost 1/2 Christmas (June 25th, right?) You can send it here or to Vermont. I'll be there in about 5 weeks. YAY!!!!!!