Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Spy


Here's a little game you can play if you read this and go to my sculpture exhibit that opens tomorrow at Firehouse Gallery. A little art "I spy": If you can find the part of the installation that was made with part of the above sculpture come tell me (or e-mail me) and I will give you a prize. A hint is that it's broken into two parts, each are in a different place in the installation- if you find one of the pieces you can still have the prize but if you find both you are awesome and should enter a Where's Waldo competition.

It's been a bit slow on the blog front as is expected with the sculpture installation extravaganza I've had this week. I had planned to work on Saturday and Sunday and use Tuesday for final touches (the days were chosen for car availability as I am mooching off the 'rents at the moment). It turned out that I needed to mooch a bit more as I worked all day Saturday through Wednesday. I even stayed until 11pm on Tuesday. I was so enthralled and high strung about this piece that I was having vivid dreams of constructing sculptures in my sleep and of my lights within the piece exploding or breaking and me not knowing what to do. Needless to say, now that it is finished I am totally beat to a pulp. I feel like I am in undergrad again with all of the excitement and stress of making a lot of work in a short amount of time. I love it, though. Making work is what I love to do and it's been a total pleasure to be at Burling City Arts for so many days. It is a truly amazing art center. There wasn't even one moment where I wished I was somewhere else. In fact, I often wished I was back in the gallery once I had left because I was so worried about whatever I could find to be worried about. I asked my mom the other morning, "what am I going to do when I have children if I lose sleep over two 2.4 volt light bulbs?" Anyway, I am working on an audio statement that you can call in on your cell phone to listen to when you are at the show. Fancy, eh? The opening is tomorrow from 5-8:00 but I will be going in early to do final lighting and perhaps do last minute glue-gun magic to settle my nerves-- nothing big! I just can't let go...

If you want to know more about the show you can go here: http://www.burlingtoncityarts.com/firehousegallery/

I wanted to add in that I have checked out most of the other work in the show and it looks awesome. It is really a fresh, inspiring and optimistic show about our "carbon constrained future", a topic that can easily be depressing or dry otherwise. It will be open until October 24th so you have plenty of time to check it out if you miss the opening tomorrow but I would love to see you tomorrow!!

5 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan,

I wish I could go, poo for having to work. I will go buy a powerball ticket tonight in hopes that if I win I can the jump on a plane just to come see your show and you too ;)

Have fun mingling at the opening reception ... oh and the audio call in is genius! I am so loving that idea, is it yours or did you hear about it. Itssss soo cool.

megan bisbee said...

Michelle,
I wish I could take credit for the audio call in but no, the gallery is just that cool. It's really fun to work with them. And seriously, if you win the powerball and fly out here I might just pee my pants from the excitement. Good GOOD luck with that!!!
I'm a bit nervous about the opening-- pretty much that the sculpture will crumble about ten minutes before the opening with no time to fix it... It's like dreaming about going to school naked or something. Oh well! There's nothing I like more than living in the rawness of life!
xo

ashdebeaula said...

Megan,

Good Luck my friend.I wish I could be there. My thoughts are with you. I can't wait to see pictures of it. I am sure nothing will crumble. You build things well with strong foundation. Say hi to Mikel.

Ashley

Michelle Summers said...

My fingers are double crossed for you. I'm so excited for you I feel like a mother lol.

megan bisbee said...

Thanks Ash and Michelle!!! I'm glad I have other people who crossed their fingers for me. Keep them crossed until October 24th when I take it down (only if you have the time and energy to keep them crossed :-) I miss you both! Come to NY and be my studio buddies again!!!