Monday, September 14, 2009

Forgotten and Remembered

Happy Monday!  

Sometimes productive weekends are just the thing for good Mondays of making bread, shelves, beading tables and plans.  Mikel and I did a lot of walking and finding treasures on the sidewalks of Brooklyn.  We are VERY careful not to bring home bed bugs.  So far we've found an amazing light, pearl-green garbage can for my studio and new-ish shutters that I will turn in to a card rack and various pieces of wood to complete my beading sewing table.  (photos soon!)  I'm searching for a larger tub (like a garbage can or a large rubbermaid) preferably already busted and useless to someone else, that I can use as a compost bin.  I have to drill holes in it anyway so it's totally fine if it has holes already.  Know anyone with something like this?

I was feeling very overwhelmed about this whole "starting a business" thing and realized once again that I need to make sure I paint regularly.  Painting makes be feel balanced, energized and inspired.  Usually when I don't take the time to paint it's because I feel like I have work to do and shouldn't give myself such an amazing and luxurious treat as painting.

(a dead disco ball...)

As I've been hoping, things have been floating my way in terms of business.  I am catching bits and pieces in the airwaves about different craft fairs.  Do I have the guts to do one?  Yes and no :-)  I need to visit them first as a customer but then I think it is a great opportunity for me to get my stuff out there in Brooklyn.  I am a bit clunky when it comes to craft shows due to lack of experience.  What better way to get a more smooth system down!  I get comments about my earrings almost every day (and not just the, "oh, those are weird" comments that  I also get-- I actually get great comments from ladies who are also wearing awesome earrings but who didn't make them.)  

I'm sorry that my photos today are a bit, um... unrelated to what I'm writing about.  I not only forgot my cord to connect the camera to the computer but I also forgot to bring my little screws with me that I need to find little nuts for at Home Depot.  Now I'm off to find a Salvation Army or the likes to add to our collection of two plates.  

(found abstraction.)

2 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan, its very smart to check out the craft venues first especially if they ones that take place every month. Larger shows that are once a year are such a gamble but you sometimes can find reviews in local newspapers. I am excited to see what you start making now that you are back in the states. ;) M

megan bisbee said...

I can't wait to see how my work changes here... Already what I've made looks really different (well to me at least and I tend to notice the tiniest things...) Thanks for the tips about looking for craft show reviews! I also want to just chat with crafters that I meet at shows to see what their experiences and tips are.