Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Swine Flu and Japenglish

I'm starting to play with cards to be offered in my ETSY shop.  The birthday card above is one I made for someone I know.  In it's beginning stages I showed it to a Brooklyn buddy who gave me great feedback, inspiring the various flower drawings on the card.  I won't be offering this exact card, it's more of a sketch/experiment, but it's all part of product development!
Here's my Mikey at a coffee shop near Prospect Park where we went on a date on Sunday at the end of our fun but insane weekend.  Three guys from Japan who are touring this week with their band (Malegoat) came to stay at our place for two nights and played a rock/hardcore(?) /punk (?) show.  The show was really awesome and the guys were even more awesome.  We spent the weekend speaking Japenglish and doing touristy things (which was really good for me because I'm so new here).  Our buddies from Vermont (who we met in Japan-- mutual friends of Malegoat) also came down to hang out.  It was SUPER fun.  Unfortunately Mikel came down with another deadly virus like the one that attacked us earlier this summer (swine flu the sequel?) so he spent a better part of Friday and Saturday sleeping off a fever.  He woke up in time to eat a homemade veggie burger and see some sweet music before we both passed out from post-fun exhaustion Saturday night.

Anyway, going on dates is on the agenda this week because we are both a bit sad that we will be apart for yet another month starting next week.  I just found out that I got into a residency at Vermont Studio Center for the month of October.  My first residency!  Yay for that! Boo for no Mikey.  At least I will be able to see my parents as the residency is in a town only 7 miles from my parents' house.  Basically I'm going back to where I was a few weeks ago before I moved here.  At least I had a chance to set up our apartment and get my bearings here.  I will miss it but I look forward to being able to see Vermont fall foliage and  drink apple cider, not to mention being able to spend an intense amount of time painting without any other responsibilities like cooking, business planning or cleaning.
Some earrings I'm sending to a cute lady I'm related to for a very belated birthday gift.  
Shhh!  Don't tell her.

2 comments:

elisa said...

I'm trying to figure out which coffee shop you guys went to but I realize that either it's not in my old neighborhood (windsor terrace/park slope) or that it's one that came in after i moved (over 4 years ago).
Enjoy your residency in VT. =)

megan bisbee said...

It was in Park Slope! I forget the name if it though... I've only been there once but it's awesome so I'm sure we'll go back.
thanks!