Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Year

"Slinky Pinky" (recently sold in my etsy shop!)

Happy New Year!  
Once again it has been an extended chunk of time between entries.  I have less to share with you visually than I do conceptually (hence the slightly outdated-yet-fun jewelry image above).

Continuing on my path toward work that is meaningful and fulfilling, I am currently working on my homework for my yoga certification (I return in two weeks to complete the course), applying to a few art residencies, working in my studio, and reading some excellent books.   

Yoga:  I've designed a 45 minute practice teach class that I will hopefully teach a few times to Mikel and other willing participants in the area before returning to Kripalu (any willing participants in the area?  Comment and let me know if you want a free yoga class or two!)  I have to record the audio of me teaching, listen to it while I "take" the class myself and write a paper about what I noticed.  I've already learned that I have a difficult time allowing other people to be uncomfortable.  This is a difficulty because, as a yoga teacher, I am creating a safe experience for my students to be present in, particularly experiences of being at the edge of their comfort zone.  This is inherently uncomfortable.  If I am unable to allow students to be uncomfortable, I will not be able to help them stay with their experience in a healthy, safe way.
I'm always learning!

Residencies:  Here's what I will be applying to in the next couple months:

Studio: I am working on five larger paintings in my studio right now, wrestling with new questions, particularly related to my previous discussions of imbued emptiness.  This is the first week that I have been able to spend much needed studio time sonce I went to Kripalu in November.  Eek!  That's what the holidays and other interests will do.  Anyway, Mikel is out of town this weekend so I am looking forward to zoning out in my studio-consciousness, jump-starting some sweet painting action.  

Books to blow your mind (or my mind anyway):

On a final note: I added about 6 plants to our plant-less apartment as well as about 8 candles.  The energy and oxygen levels seem much improved.  Like magic!  Highly recommended for a little winter uplift.

3 comments:

Alison Shanik said...

I would love a free yoga class!

yasuko the bad speller said...

wish i was there to take your free class! come back to VT. hehe.

megan bisbee said...

Yay Alison! When are you free?

Yasuko: I will totally teach you and Tony some yoga moves next time we hang out!! I remember you were thinking of taking classes in your area. Have you started?