Monday, December 17, 2007

Escape


This is the view across the pond near our apartment. We still don`t have snow in our area but the mountains are beautifully dusted.
Today I am thinking about The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. Did you know it was originally written in German? I didn`t. I had only seen the movie until this week when I started reading the English version of the book--not that I could read any other version, but seeing as I am in Japan, and I just mentioned it was written originally in German, I though I should clarify.
It is a magical story, in case you haven`t checked it out. The heroes are young boys in two different realms who are joined by adventure and a book. I like the layers of reality, and I like that I can escape into the book just as the boy Bastian escapes into his book.
Escape is an interesting theme right now, mainly because I have been noticing my desires to escape from things that are difficult. These desires are strong now as it is getting darker outside, Christmas is approaching and it will be spent far from family other than my lovely husband, and soon after Christmas, Mikel will leave for a month or more.
My escape? Books and art. They are also my way of changing my experience so that I no longer want to escape. Interesting...

No comments: