Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Large Frogs and Butter-Futter


This is a castle in Matsumoto. It`s made of wood! Castles are traditionally made of wood in Japan which is why not many are still around: a tiny spark does a real number on wooden structures. This castle has a secret floor to hide in! I think all houses should have secret floors! I went to Matsumoto last week for a conference. It was very fun to meet other English teachers from all over the world. I also found some cool Christmas gifts and a few tiny hidden bars that I would imagine to be more at home in Europe. I almost bought a pair of gloves which had a different finger puppet on each finger...I don`t know why I didn`t...I think I may be one of the only people who would wear them...me and five-year-olds. They were pretty rediculously fun. One puppet was an octopus!!
The visual highlights of the trip:

A giant foam frog fighting a fatter...frog? toad? They welcomed me to the appropriately named "frog street." I don`t know why it had that name but all the buildings on this street were traditional Japanese shops with mini ceramics, second hand stuff and many weird frog souvenirs.

GIANT polka-dot flowers by an artist named Yayoi Kusama. She also makes steller room installations.
Speaking of second-hand stuff--like five minutes ago-- I recently was introduced to Japanese thrift stores. WhooooHoooo!! Serious finds! I will be bummed when I have only thrift stores in the US to go to. Better stock up now!
Craft Land News:
I have been in a bit of a slump. It`s time to ask new questions! I think I am finally settling in here a bit more so maybe my paintings won`t have to mimic my busy, full and confused mind as much as they are now. I usually need to have a few long studio days-- more than 5 hours-- a week, to really settle into my studio and spend time with my work. My job doesn`t make that easy so my process feels slower. I will post some new works soon... it`s easier--only possible maybe-- to talk about art when it can be looked at.
Until then, I will be making a newspaper with my special English class. All the stories will be murder stories with stellar collaged images. Violent? yes. But fun? Of course!

No comments: