Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fake Barns and Flippy Floppy Fish

(This blog is dedicated to my sister Jaime-- hi Snr. Flippy Floppy!)

Four hours of watching a volleyball class match can really make me think.

What do I think about?

1. Japanese students are expected to be both fully competitive and yet NOT at the same time. The opposing teams stand facing each other and take turns cheering themselves on. No homecoming ruckus or even wild and crazy running around the gym to fun warm-up tunes like I used to do before basketball games ("It`s the eye of the Tiger, it`s the thrill of the fight...") They cheer when told and stop when told... Do they really get excited by this?

2. Pre-adolescent BO is such a mixed bag. There are the ones who still have a sweet baby-like smell and then there are the stinky ones.

3. Students look like floppy fish as they fling their bodies toward the ball.

4. "one should 'govern a country as you cook a small fish.'" This is from Lao Tzu`s Tao Te Ching. I`ve been reading "The Tao of Abundance" by Laurance G. Boldt off and on for a LONG time. He quoted this idea about governing with a light hand which being in Japan allows me to fully understand-- not because the government is light handed AT ALL, but because they really know how to cook fish. They have a certain je ne cest quoi nuance-ification about natural flavors.

5. I wonder if I can sneak out and eat come crackers, stealth-mode... yes, I can. These are delicious.

6. I should make pizza for dinner with the leftover pasta sauce I made last night. I should make a list of what to put on it so I don`t forget. No, that`s stupid. I`m just bored.

But NOW, I am no longer bored but scheming excellent plans for my REAL job: making art.
I found some great websites that have lists of "calls for artists."
Check `em before you wreck `em:
www.theartlist.com
www.asingularcreation.com
www.slowart.com
www.arthousecoop.com
I am especially excited about Art House Coop because they have international collaborative projects like the one I am participating in called The Scavenger Project.
Since it`s Friday, I am ALLLLLL set to get cookin` in the ol` studio: make some more blartwork and apply to some residencies and shows, and kick back with Mikey who is also on a fiery roll in his studio.

**If I were to give his studio a name (like mine is "Craft Land") I would probably call it "The Fake Barn Menagerie." I might go back on that declaration later but this is why for now: It kind of smells like a hay-filled barn due to the tatami mats he stacked under the bed, and the walls are wooden like a barn. Also he has lots of fake taxidermy animals in progress, strange things hung on the walls and floor (fake wigs, microphones, papier mache stumps...) and lighting that can only be made by free hanging yellowing light bulbs which seems very barn-like to me.
I wonder what he thinks about this name.**

Time for the volleyball "closing ceremony." Bye!

No comments: