Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lines, Balloons and Fear

"Lines"
OK, I'm not so impressed by the title, but because it is so linear, it was really hard to photograph it in an interesting way.  It is another addition to my new sculptures which Mikel worked his butt off to get onto my website along with new paintings (thanks, Mikey!)
Yesterday I received my package from Art House Co-op for the Scavenger Project.  I have to send back 24 images made according to 24 moments on a list they have me.  Some of the moments are, "fear", "there they're their" and "a dog with his head out the car window."  I am taking this as a challenge to combine my abstraction with recognizable imagery, like landscape painting and cartoon-like bits.  Here was my first try.

(This is based on a balloon they sent me.)

Here is my second try:

"Fear"

I don't know if I will send either of these images.  They are so awkward, but there is something refreshing about them for me.  Illustration is not in my comfort zone so it is nice to play with it.  

2 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan,
I like your use of the images in “lines” its well intergraded and adds to the things the eye has to search and find. I feel in “balloon” its like a sticker. It’s infiltrating if not taking over whatever surface was before it and becoming the main subject. I find adding illustration can at times be a challenge as it’s normally fast to recognize the subject and your paintings are not. I would suggests working on creatures or subject that is not so obviously something people will know right away as a thing. Try making things that put the viewer in question, what it is and what it should be? I don’t know if this has been helpful but let me know one way or another if it was. I do love these little creations they inject me with “the force!” giving me a boost to try working outside my boundaries.

Thanks for reading my blog, I will update soon as I have a bunch saved on my computer pleading for me to post them.

megan bisbee said...

Thanks Michelle! Great advice!! Your response gave me "the force" too. I can't wait to get back into the studio to play with more mysterious and ambiguous illustrations.
Thank you! Thank you!
I can't wait to read your blog!!!