Friday, February 6, 2009

Avatars and Kicked Pigeons

"Together and Apart"
3 inches long (including the hook) and very light.  
The hooks are sterling silver.  
Other materials: glass, pearl, plastic, sealed paper, and mono filament.

I am having a great Saturday working in the ol' studio. I just finished 8 pairs of earrings. Here are the four pairs I made as models for my sister to check out for her bride's maids. I am totally up for feedback (color changes, length differences, additions of other stones or colors, etc.) This is just a starting point. I admit I didn't take the best pics (I didn't notice that I let the branch's shadow take up so much of the image. Oh, well. It's hard to see the camera screen when it is so bright outside... and I when am impatient because I am actually still in my PJs and hoping no one I know would pass by.)

"Dream for Two"
3 inches long
Hooks are sterling.
Other materials: plastic, glass, fibers, pearl, and mono filament.

"Stacked Bouquet"
3 inches 
Hooks:sterling
Other materials: Shell, plastic, glass, sealed paper.

"Love Sprout"
3 inches
Hooks are sterling
Other Materials: plastic, glass, pearl, fibers, mono filament, sealed paper.
(these are my favorite!)

I'm not sure if I like the titles yet.  I like the idea of naming commissions based on the concept of the commission, in this case these are for Clare's wedding so the names should be about love, or Clare and Geoff's relationship.  Whatever the final design is for the ladies, it will have a cool name (I thought about naming a pair "Kicked Pigeon" due to Clare's recent experiment with the reflexes of birds in Hawaii... but I didn't think it was romantic enough.)  

I'm going to upload a few earrings to ETSY today too so check it out if you wanna see some new designs!  I recently received some really good advice and feedback from an ESTY seller BlueCanvasStudios which made me really excited for my jump into being self-employed because she gave me some concrete things to do to take more steps toward marketing my work better, like:
1. Trading on ETSY.  She said that her sales were boosted when she did them between 8-10pm.  I honestly haven't done any trades before so I don't know how to do it yet, but I'll find out!
2. Put an ETSY mini on my Facebook page.  I have one on here but I never thought about putting it on Facebook.  THAT'S BRILLIANT!
3. Hold Jewelry parties.
4. Make treasuries, comment on other people's treasuries as well as articles on Storque.
5. Change my avatar often... (what's an avatar?  I have a lot to learn...) because it's free advertising every time it gets changed and people click on it.
6. Put up an ad somewhere (like Facebook).
7. Throw my business cards around more often (which I will do when I live in civilization again.)

Good advice huh?  Concrete and doable.  
Her work is really beautiful and classy so it was such a compliment to get feedback from her.  
..now, to figure out what an avatar is...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Thanks for the etsy advice! I don't have any of my own work on their right now (altho I am working on some paintings) but I have started an etsy shop for the business i'm working on with my mom. our etsy shop is RAGGEDedgeGear and we have a regular website too... I'm right there with ya on being self employed. Its grand!