Sunday, February 22, 2009

Letting Go

"Toxic King Frog's Boots"

I had a mini epiphany this weekend.  I was putting too much on my "plate" of stuff-to-do.  At first it was out of a genuine excitement and fire for being a productive artist preparing for the rest of my life, but after weeks of good motivation, creative fire, applications and deadlines met, I burned out.  I realize that I wasn't taking enough time to appreciate the things I have accomplished.  I also realized that going to residencies isn't the biggest desire in my life.  If I apply to a few less, and spend the extra time fantasizing and planning for our future house in Vermont, reading books and spending time with Mikel, my life will be much happier and I will still have applied to a ton of residencies.  What's a few less applications?  It doesn't make a difference in the end.  The only thing that does make a difference is if I feed my creativity and allow it to go where it wants to.  At first it wanted to apply to a bazzilion things which was great because I got a lot done, but now it's ready for new tasks and focus.  I appreciate my efforts and also my willingness to let go of a few things I had on my To-Do list.  Time for some new fun!

3 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan,

I know how you feel right now; I'm a little overwhelmed from everything I have going on now and then thinking about what I have waiting for me next makes me tired just thinking about it. I can only imagine what you have been up to as you guys top the cake of ambitious. Take care and enjoy fun time ;) Oh yeah your jewelry is rocking my world right now.

megan bisbee said...

Thanks, Michelle. I think our trip to Thailand will be a good break from deadlines (except I am afraid we have planned an ambitious travel plan... but at least it will be sunny and beach/Thai food/wiskey/art/ Buddhist-related stress rather than the usual job/art burn out. hah ;-)

Anonymous said...

Megan! Its mud! I was just cruisin' thru your site and Mikel's. This blog post made me smile... HUGE. I'm right there with you- I'm not applying to residencies, but the balance of it all. I struggle with that all the time! So much to do, so much I want to do, and so little time... Every now and then I just realign, adjust, and keep going.