Monday, May 10, 2010

Drink and Draw

Mikel and I spent three days out of the city for an inspiring, delicious and WAY fun trip to visit Ashley and Jordan in Buffalo. We took Amtrak out there (long trip but beautiful!) I haven't seen Ash in more than a year and was really excited to be able to chat face-to-face, especially after her interview! Both Mikel and I returned home late last night totally inspired! Not only do Ash and J live in an awesome house built in the 1800's that they are in the process of redecorating in super stylish ways, Ashley's amazing quilting skills totally sparked up the place (even the cushions and pillows we are sitting on the in the photo were covered/designed by her!), her art was all over, her cooking was divine, and we were even dazzled by Jordan's creative skills he shows in his beer brewing! It was so tasty!
(side note: Check out my new super long earrings! I wore them all weekend.)
I loved seeing Ashley's studio in person. It was even cooler than her initial photos showed. It is very difficult to get a good sense of scale in photo sometimes, especially with abstract work. It's also hard to get a sense of texture and I was blown away at the different textures in each of her pieces: glitter, shine, matte, globby, etc. This is a drawing that is on the wall of the studio that is part of a series of drawings done with guests. We decided to call it "Drink and Draw". Although we planned to do one this weekend we ended up not having any time. Next visit for sure!
Here is another beautiful image from Ash's studio.
And another: these are sort of out of context as I am cropping and abstracting them. Her whole studio is so inspiring and full of beautiful, detailed work!
This is a cool and super contrasted photo of their dining nook. I love it!

We also went to Alfred for senior shows which was stellar and couldn't believe it when it snowed almost all the way home. It is May, right? Now I'm home, working on paintings and jewelry for upcoming sales and fun! I promise more interviews will be posted soon as well assome more fun stuff. Have a great day!

No comments: