Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lenny and the Snoozers

This photo is full of good stuff to talk about! First of all, I'm wearing the new yoga mat bag that I made as a birthday gift for myself (I'm also proudly wearing a Miley Cyrus T-shirt from Mikel's mom). I know it seems weird to make something for myself rather than buying it for my Birthday. I was actually planning to buy one on etsy but after looking through all of the mat bags I decided I wanted to make myself my ideal bag. It is big enough for two mats or a mat and blocks as well as a change of clothes! The truth is, my favorite thing to do is hang out at home, listen to a good book on tape or watch a movie while making something funky with no stress or expectations attached. So that's what I did for my 27th birthday! That is, AFTER Mikel made me an amazing breakfast and then had to go to work an before I went out in my party dress!

This photo also shows my new stamp print on the bottom of the calendar behind me. It turned out so awesome! I ordered it at Simon Stamp which allowed me to design it exactly the way I wanted. I even bought black and rainbow ink. The rainbow ink pad is called "Happy Birthday" and of course it arrived yesterday, exactly on my Birthday!

This image also shows my new haircut (which I did myself in the bathroom earlier today). Mikel and I have been cutting our own hair for about 9 years now. Usually I cut mine and he does the final touches on the back of my head where I can't really see.

Finally, on the table is the amazing bouquet of flowers Mikel bought me for my birthday along with two awesome books: Coop by Michael Perry and 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
My new bag can be carried like a sling bag or a duffel bag. It has a super wide strap for comfort, especially for when I am biking to yoga classes.

Here is the inside of my yoga bag. You can see it has my blocks and mat in it and two interior pockets.

Here is a blurry photo of my talk at A-Lab last Saturday:

There is something really funny about giving a talk. (for more photos click here.) My perception as the one giving the talk on Saturday was totally different than Mikel's perception. For example, I was super nervous and felt like no one was interested. Mikel might have been being overly nice to me, but he said it was smooth and clear and he was bummed that the host didn't leave enough time for people to ask me questions. I was totally under the impression that no one wanted to ask questions so the host moved on. Funny how perception can be so different (and how I can be so neurotic!) I often feel when I am giving talks or teaching that I totally lose myself, lose track of time and by the end I have almost no memory of what happened. Anyway, this talk was such a great opportunity and it was located in the China Town of Queens which is a totally awesome place!

About Birthday stuff: last night was the most hilarious and amazing birthday outing. I don't have photos yet but I'm working on it! I wore my favorite cocktail dress and got all fancied up and went to Flavor Paper (where Mikel works) for a party. Guess who was there!! I totally saw Lenny Kravitz! Apparently he has a design company that has been working with Flavor Paper lately. I was hoping he would show up to the party but wasn't depending on it. My friend Julie and I were sitting on a super mod couch, drinking amazing cocktails with watermelon juice and cilantro (among other things) and totally watching the Lenny Kravitz show go by. It was amazingly NYC!
For a final note, to get in the mood for snoozing, here's a photo I took of the meowsers. I know I'm becoming one of "those cat ladies" who feels like everyone else must want to know everything about her cats... but I just can't stop myself! I totally understand if you roll your eyes every time you see these two squishers. I won't hold it against you!

3 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Ahhh Megan much to what you might think and perhaps it is contrary to the true matter of your life but I THINK YOU LIVE SUCH AN EXTRAORDINARY LIFE! I am so excited for your art talk, I wish I could have been there. I love the yoga bag, it’s smashing.

ashdebeaula said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Love the bag. Great use of that fabric. I was surprised and happy to see it as a bag.

I know what you mean about losing yourself when giving a talk or teaching. Sometimes I still feel that way even after being in classrooms most days of the week. I feel it especially when I teach about a new topic. I am finding more and more that I do experience increasing awareness of my words, movements and environmental factors everyday that I teach. I also have found that the rush or excitement of teaching/speaking (which I think is the thing that causes the memory loss) is still there but, easier to control. The more you do it the better you get. This you know already but, I just wanted to let you know that you probably really rocked it and you should keep going and going!

megan bisbee said...

Thanks Ash and Michelle! :-) I am pretty lucky to have such a strange and interesting life, I think. I don't take it for granted for sure! Mikel and I are totally adventure buddies (it was in our wedding vows, after all :-)
Ash-- I like your thoughts about memory loss in teaching happening due to the excitement. I wonder if there is a shift to short-term memory, like fight or flight (due to nerves?) so that memory isn't imprinted in the brain. That's what it feels like anyway! Thanks for your thoughts!