Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Random Apartment Tour

Happy Tuesday! I was chatting with my mom last week and she suggested that I post more images of my living space where I spend most of my time and where I make my art. So here's a mini tour of random apartment stuff!
I found that awesome plastic bonsai tree in the garbage last week.
Future jewelry and sculpture!
My seedlings are alive and I separated them so they have more space to grow! They were growing so slowly for a while and then I saw my friend Aidan's seedlings and she told me I should spray them with water, not pour water on them. I just started yesterday. I hope it works!
Studio shot from this morning. It's clean because our friends John and Angela visited for the night and when we have guests my studio becomes the guest room. (I just realized that its funny that I said "it's clean" because I'm sure it doesn't look like it. Let me qualify this: it's as clean as it can be. The floors are swept and all of my things are in their proper places.) As a guest room I think it's a little like camping in a magical jungle... possibly a bit claustrophobic but a one-of-a-kind experience nonetheless.
I know that people usually hide their messy closets but I know that I'm not alone in my I-have-a-small-NYC-closet-ness and I'm trying to embrace it. This is the larger of two closets that we have. The other is in Mikel's studio. I keep my clothes in here but it's about 87.6% full of art supplies. It's an interesting challenge to have one room be studio, garden, closet, storage, guest room, sewing room, etc. It demands serious organizational creativity.
This is our main room right now (just ignore the towel drying on the chair ;-) Some details: that's a minotaur head on our cupboards. Mikel made it and did a collaborative video piece with his art collaborator Ethan Kruzska. You can see images here on their website. There's peach brandy up there too as well as two drums (Mikel's).
These two fur balls are laying on the floor of the main room right outside my studio. Check out the legs we got from our friend Ariele. I'm hoping to make them into legs to a counter in our future hand sculpted house. When she and I carried the legs to my apartment almost everyone we passed asked us if we killed the girl to get her legs. Of course we did!

By the way, Ariele is an awesome artist! Check out her work here! She and I will be at Artists and Fleas on May 29th and 30th selling art, jewelry, etc. If you're in the area, come on down! (I'll remind you of it as the time comes nearer).
Our couch/bed (left) is folded down and covered in wood so Dr. pancake doesn't pee on it. I know. Gross! Too much information? Here's more: our bed is his favorite place to pee. His second favorite place is in the shell of Mikel's old helmet which we have placed in his litter box. Someday he'll be litter box trained (I hope!!!!!) We might need a different kind of litter... Check out the awesome architectural model on the wall! Mikel found it in an abandoned lot by his work. I LOVE it!

Ok, random tour, I know. It didn't include Mikel's studio or the bathroom (I have to ask Mikey's permission before I post a pic of his studio because he has a big painting in progress in there and he probably doesn't want me sharing it with everyone and their mom, and their mom's mom, if you know what I mean).

I am still waiting for responses from a few artists in regards to my interviews. As soon as I hear from them I will post the conversations here! Now I'm off to make some jewelry and painting before Dharma Punx tonight. Have a great day!

2 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Megan, my interview is in the works I just also have crazy house cleaning in the works too. You know how it is when you have a show, everything else in your life is placed on hold which in my case is cleaning, socializing, and cooking. Sadly I was a lame arse and didn't take photos of my booth at the craft sale but I do have images of some of the work I sold at it. Love the pic of Mr. Pancake and Mama cat.

megan bisbee said...

Yes! I totally understand :-) I hope the sale went well!!! I can't wait to read your responses and to rock some follow-ups! xoxo