Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cherry Flavored Peppers

I woke up this morning and looked out my frosty window.  
This is what I saw!  I can't believe it!
This beautiful bird was sitting outside looking for food.  
While I was eating breakfast, I threw my magical bird friend some of my breakfast:
The bird (who I decided to name Simon) especially liked the very happy and mini peppers in my breakfast sushi.  He said they taste like cherries and make him feel in love.  He left the window for a moment.  When he came back he had picked these flowers for me.
I couldn't believe such awesome flowers grow in the winter!!  
Japan truly is a magical land.  
I hope he is there when I get home!

I am SOOO happy to say that I had a whole weekend to make things.  
I was able to work on Christmas gifts AND painting.  
I am thrilled about how my new paintings are coming along.  I have thirteen small panels in progress.  That might seem like a lot, but it is perfect for me (maybe too few) because I often just pour a bunch of paint onto a panel and then I have to wait until it dries to touch the painting again.  Anyway, I am working on getting better detail in my paintings (not just pouring paint).  As Mikel says, you can often tell that I use the same 1-3 brushes in my paintings.  I want more mystery in my work at a smaller scale so that the painting draws me in and then isn't disappointing close up.  I am also thinking more about the combination of my 2-D and 3-D work, with the fact in mind that I will be leaving Japan in May and therefore should probably slow my roll a little on sculpture (at least larger sculpture) and do more sketchbook and 2-D planning and playing.  Otherwise I will have to throw so many things away.  
There's only so much I can take home with me!  

I am also all revved up to apply to a few residencies in the next few months.  I won't give up until I get one!  I dream of focusing tons of time on my studio, not just the hours after work and on the weekend.  What artist doesn't?  I like applying because it forces me to revamp my artist statement often and it makes me excited to finish and document new work.  Maybe I will finish some of my new paintings before the next application...

 Happy Monday!!


2 comments:

MMS said...

Megan,
Once again charmed by your posts. I TOO like to use certain beads, tools or a color over and over again which I try not to do but I think its a comfort thing.

Anonymous said...

lovelovelove your new work.