Monday, December 15, 2008

Multiple Dimensions

While riding the bus to work this morning I had a new thought.  I was looking out the window and at the window at the same time.  The landscape outside of course changed as I moved.  The reflection of the landscape from across the bus also moved creating two landscapes snaking and undulating separately and together.  Sometimes it seemed like the image was going forward and backward at the same time.  Sometimes the dark hill would have a sunny glowing forest in it's center.  It made me think that this is one way that multiple dimensions can exist.  The image wasn't just a direct perception and a reflection.  The interaction of the two made something new.  Something that is both understandable to my human perception (like "up" and "down" and "space") but also something beyond that, something abstract and also simultaneous.  Something going forward and backward can exist at the same time and place.  Something deep and shallow.  Two different buildings with two different families living in the same space without even knowing it.  It made me start to think about how depending on how we reflect what we see, it changes that image and the other dimensions related to it.  

I wonder if there is a book that is based on this concept...

3 comments:

ashdebeaula said...

Megan
The content of your blog reminds me of the art installation you did when we were in the class with Mary and Diane. The one when we all did an installation in Wellsville. I believe it was called "Hot Water Supply" If I remember correctly it had to do with duality and I wonder if you were trying to understand this idea of multiple dimensions or multiple happenings then. Just a thought. Talk to you later. Happy Holiday! Say hi to Mikey.

megan bisbee said...

Thanks Ash! That's a great point about duality. I forgot about that piece and I really liked it!! It helped be figure out more about seeming opposites existing simultaneously. I recently talked to Mary (well, e-mailed) hoping she would write a rec for me. I really enjoyed that class with her! I wish I had pics of that piece with me to post on my blog... I'm inspired to make a new installation.

Anonymous said...

maybe you should write a book about this!...or make some art about it. it's a really intriguing concept.