Thursday, November 19, 2009

Textiles and Solo Bike Missions

sarah moli newton applebaum
Check out her website.  
(Thanks, Steph, for telling me about her!)
It is a cold, drizzling day.  I was so chilly this morning that I started using the scraps of recycled wool sweaters that I made a blanket with three years ago in Florida to make a new one.  Seems we are in need of blankets so I am working on a crazy quilt of my own crazy design and a recycled sweater throw.

I had an amazingly fun adventure yesterday:
First I met with my new friend Aidan Earle (who I met at Vermont Studio Center) for coffee.  She makes beautiful work that combines painting, sculpture and textiles.  Here are two images I took in her studio at VSC.  The colors are probably a little off as I don't have them here to look at but at least you can get the idea about the physicality of her work.


Also, I would like to mention that she has one of the best jobs I have ever heard of.  She makes the puppets for Saturday Night Live.  She also told me that she just finished a costume for Sesame Street.  I'm not sure if she has a website...  If I find one I'll post it!

It was so inspiring talking to Aidan that it totally jazzed me up to send out my newsletter I wrote the other day.  I have to set up my new ETSY shop and put my new paintings and sculptures on my website first before I can send it out, though, so you might have to hold your horses for a couple days.  If you would like me to e-mail it to you and you think I might not have your e-mail address, feel free to post your e-mail in my comments page and I will be sure to get it to you.

After our coffee date, I went on my first solo bike mission in Brooklyn.  I didn't get hit by a car!!  yay!  I also found four pairs of pants at Salvation army that will work for my yoga practice when I go to Kripalu next week for my teacher training.  Finding pants that fit was total luck because there are no changing rooms at Salvation Army shops in NYC.  I guess that's part of the reason why they are so affordable for thrift shops...?

My thrift purchases and my giddiness at biking without dying lead to a total craft explosion in my studio involving lots of fabric (and more specifically, materials for the blankets I mentioned above) and some fabric paint (to alter a super ugly logo on one of my new pant legs-- I will post a picture sometime soon!)

Then, I hopped on the subway and headed up to Time Square area to meet two friends for dinner which was AMAZINGLY delicious Thai food from a place called "Room Service"-- which is an awesome name.  What a full day-- a perfect balance for today's slow, grey chill.

******
Why freecycle rocks:
Mikel found a printer and scanner on Freecycle for us!  We will probably be able to pick it up next week.  I have my fingers crossed that they will work at least basically (and at all) for what we need.  I am still waiting to get my greeting cards printed...  If you need anything in the universe and can't afford it, give Freecycle and or Craigslist a chance!  Ask the universe and you shall receive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

meg! please send me your newsletter:
stephanie(at)rivulette(dot)com

megan bisbee said...

ok!!