Sunday, June 29, 2008

Snot-tites and Practicalities

(One more sculpture down the editing shoot)

Happy Monday!   
I finally feel like my old self again after about 10 days of low energy and a head full of snot.
Which reminds me of something Mikel and I saw on the show Planet Earth that we have been watching off the Internet lately:  In caves where the water is highly acidic with sulfuric acid, there is a certain kind of bacteria that makes "Snottites" like stalactites but snot-like.  I'm serious.
That show really makes me realize how amazing the earth is and has rekindled an old desire once again: the desire to bike across the sweet land of my birth, the USA.  With my health recovered I feel a little like a super-hero.  I have been using my manic super powers to finish my beading workshop preparations (except for the final touches on my power point), started to apply to art residencies, and packed my head full of future projects (installations, sculptures, black and white drawings, bike trips and traveling).  
All of this new activity manifested as a weird dream last night:  I gave birth to a fat cat but Mikel and I decided we didn't really want a "baby" yet.   I was full of regret.  
I take it as a sign that we should wait for babies and go full steam ahead with arty-farty stuff.
As my head gets wrapped around thoughts on art, I realize that making my painting and sculpture is the most rewarding experience for me.  I love crafting and jewelry, but "Craft Land" I realize is a different place than my studio.  They are connected and influence each other, but not the same.  Usually I notice how my painting influences my jewelry, but only recently did I realize the way Beaded Weeds influences my art practice.  I have become a much more disciplined business woman.  I realize that if I treat things like applications and deadlines as strict with my painting/sculpture as with my jewelry, I get the same results.  The abundance flows just as easily and makes an organic, intangible studio experience feel more concrete and practical.
Practical parts of life (like paying bills, sleeping, eating healthy, getting a reentry permit to Japan, etc.) can be quite a nusance, but also mindless relief from thinking about art all the time.  Sometimes it is much needed perspective.
Time to pay my car lease bill!  

No comments: