Monday, June 30, 2008

Ze-Ri and Collecting Space

What's this?
It's behind the scenes of a sweet sculpture photo shoot.  
I use anything from our shed as a tripod. 
We actually finally bought a little tripod last week so this will be my last "yard sale shoot."  Behind it you can see four long pots of plants.  That is where I accidentally grew lettuce this spring.  All of the plants I tried to grow died, like the time Mikel and I tried to plant a mini garden in downtown Buffalo but only ended up with wild blackberries (a nice trade, honestly)

Today I ate strange cubes of white-ish jelly (pronounced as "zeri" after translation by katakana).  I am not sure what flavor they were, but they weren't anything easily recognizable.  Although I now bring my own lunch to school (I couldn't handle eating any more strange greenish brown curry with meat bits or tiny white fish) I apparently still can't avoid eating some school lunch.   Although I said no, I still ended up eating a strange bowl of fruit juice with canned fruit, bananas and "zeri."  Another magical Japanese creation.  The magic is what I came here for and there is no telling where it will show up.

Last night, while working on some residency applications, I had a mini break-through.  Suddenly my artist statement went from focusing on color and objects to collecting space.  This new perspective has exploded into a whole new way of looking at things around me.  For example, how many kinds of space are there?  What's the difference between space and object?  How does mental space compare to audio space and visual space?  How can I collect space?  I can't wait to go to Nagano City tomorrow and add to my collection of space.  

A poem for you:
The green computer folder is still sitting on my desk.
My liter of water looks like a liter of Sake.
It's hot and sunny for now.


2 comments:

Michelle Summers said...

Strange food from far off lands makes me feel like an alien. Felt like sharing ;)

megan bisbee said...

hehehe. Me too. I always feel like an alien here.