Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Seeking a Human Experience

This is a shot from the train we took to Matsumoto.  I haven't done any photoshoppery yet so perhaps the colors aren't as rockin' as they could be  (our computer's still sick) but I think it is an interesting photo despite that.  Now that I have only a couple weeks to be here in Japan, I am trying to be as visually aware of my surroundings as I can be.  I remember when I first moved here I thought it was so beautiful it made me want to cry.  I think I have internalized a lot of the surroundings making them more familiar and therefore (unfortunately) easier to not notice.  The good thing about this is that I won't lose this landscape when I leave; I will have it inside me, at least some of it, and many photos and paintings to remind me.  

This is me walking down a slippery path into an ice cave near Mt. Fuji.  It was amazing to climb from the light into the dark and from the hot into the cold.  I must admit I wasn't such a genius when I decided to wear white pants on a week-long adventure that included slimy caves, dirty city curbs, and sweaty hikes... it was so worth it, though.  Bright white is so overrated and wearing one pair of white pants everyday for such an adventure is so underrated.  

This is a quote I've been thinking a lot about this week.  It goes basically like this:

"We're not humans here to seek a spiritual experience, 
we are spirits here to seek a human experience."

Let the packing commence and the human experience continue!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

right on! keep on rockin the white pants while living your human experience.

i'm looking forward to you being in VT! let's make a collaborative art piece with our amazing art powers...whaddya say?

megan bisbee said...

Yea! I`m totally game with collaborative art magic! I can`t wait to be there!!!!!!