Monday, May 4, 2009

Time To Enjoy The Day

"Young Grass Smoker"

Whew!  Another Tokyo extravaganza.  This one was most welcome of all due to studio/life slumps.  I made a promise to myself to do a good job of taking interesting photos for my blog and for my own inspiration so I have a lot to post this week.   It was also our last Tokyo trip before we leave for Vermont in less than a month.  

"Super Fly"

We were out for adventure, diversity, good food, and art (found and made).  
(The billboard above was on top of a building and therefore HUGE.  The sky was perfect.)

"Party Animals"

It's Golden Week in Japan.  Everyone is out on the town for all of the various holidays strategically scheduled on the same week so that Japanese people have "a reason to take a break" (as our friend, Kyoko, explained to us).  It was an amazing explosion of colorful fabric signs advertising for things like grilled octopus snacks and cartoon-like candies.

"Indian Thoughts"

This is my Mikey in our favorite Indian restaurant in Tokyo (It has the best chai I've ever had, Bollywood flick always playing, and the friendliest servers.  I have never been called "mam" so much in my life.) It was here, however that we decided that Japan is finished with us and we are allowed to leave now.  This was due to several hints, such as the cat urine smell at our favorite table, the mysterious disappearance of some money, aggressively friendly shop owners, and the still almost-allusive gallery art.  I say "almost" because we did find some:
(at Nanzuka Underground)

I know I mention the difficulty of finding good art in Tokyo every time I write about Tokyo, and I know there is good art and perhaps NYC spoiled me, but maybe it's meant to be because there is so much stuff to be found outside of the galleries.

"Nice Colors"

Mikey spent a lot of time using our new video camera for his various projects.  Also, due to an interpretive dance number we did in front of Mt. Fuji, a collaborative video project was born along with an unbearable urge in me to jump in front of the video camera and dance.  We even met up with our buddy Kyoko and put her through three hours of movie-making.  She was such a trooper and  great actor. Afterward we had a fun time eating Italian food and speaking Japan-glish with lots of gestures.  
  
"Blue Bowl;  'found' art in Tokyo."

"Milk Land"
(a restaurant called "Moo Cafe" that serves the best soft serve ice cream I've ever had and more dairy than one human should be allowed to eat in one coffee break, let alone a day)

More tomorrow.  Time to enjoy the day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that bonsai tree is incredible...do you know what the story is about it or did you just see it while passing by?

megan bisbee said...

The story of that particular guy? I'm not sure, but when we saw him it didn't stick out as something out of the ordinary. He might have been unloading something for his shop or something. Japan is such a magical place and so full of great images.