Monday, May 4, 2009

White Death and Plastic Trees

Many people complain about power lines in Japan because they are everywhere.  
I think they make beautiful lines.

The cool building in the background had sort of mint-colored windows that just didn't come out in this photo.   I wanted to at least tell you about them so you can use your imagination if you want to see them.  
How often do we get to see mint-colored windows?

These trees were so beautiful they almost looked plastic.

Yes, that is a cat riding on his shoulders... wearing a shirt.  It quickly made enemies with a bling-covered, shirt and shorts clad poodle a few minutes after this photo was taken.  I'm not joking.


White is the color of death in Japan.  Apparently death is also cute.

Lovely plates among shelves of ceramics in a shop we found while walking though Ueno area.

I took this because of the bright pink Anpanman face in the center of all the lollipops.


Amazing vertical landscape found between buildings.

Who would want to fight such a cute potato man?
**********

This photo was not taken by me nor was it taken in Tokyo.  We are totally inspired!  We just watched a movie called "Garbage Warrior" about a man named Michael Reynolds who started Earthship.  He invented a building method that uses garbage and natural materials in the area to create 100% self sustaining buildings.  The buildings even grow their own food, collect their own rainwater, make their own power-- anything people need to live a free, lovely life.  Above is a picture of one of the buildings.  Below is a picture of a wall made with bottles.  Beautiful!  

We are already geared up in our minds for our own sort of magical home we want to build in VT.  This movie made us all that much more excited and ready to get our hands dirty and make a masterpiece of a home.  It also showed us that we can make a 100% sustainable home.  When we start to plan and build we will start a new blog all about our progress.  This blog may start to divide off into different more focused tangents.  Fun fun!

Off to the studio. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that vertical landscape looks like it could be one of your sculptures! i'm gonna check out that video about the earthship, I could use a bit of inspiration today.

megan bisbee said...

I hope you enjoyed the Garbage Warrior! I and so excited about it and doing all sorts of research about how we can do everything ourselves when we build. It's going to be a blast and a big challenge.

I also totally agree that the vertical landscape could be one of my sculptures! It is total evidence for me that my work as been very influenced by the landscape here. I wonder what will happen when I get back to Vermont...