Friday, May 9, 2008

Babies, Food and Baby Food

Mikel often laughs at how my brain is almost always occupied by two things: food and babies.

I could be stuffed to my gills, and still be scoping out the next restaurant to dine at, or the next weird vegan experiment to cook up. It borders on crazy and I totally blame my mom for it (who does the same thing!) But she was also the one who told me that you can be crazy as long as you know you`re crazy... I think there is something more to the wise words, but lets just leave them where they suit me best.

Onto babies: My ongoing obsession can only be blamed on hormones. (Notice I never blame myself for my own neurosis. At least I know it, right?) My uterus could be hitting me over the head and I wouldn`t get the hint any clearer than I do now: "Ok, I want a baby! I get it!" Which is closely followed by Mikel saying, "OK, you want a baby! I get it!"

I have about two dreams a week about having babies (my most recent told me that I will be having a boy first! Wouldn`t that be wild?) If I am not dreaming of having babies I meander through half-awake moments in the morning pondering, "when I have a baby, it will be so fun to make baby food. If the kid doesn`t like it, Mikel and I can make it into a soup or something." You can totally laugh. I am as I am typing this. Not only is that a hilarious thing to ponder when I don`t even have a baby yet, but, in case you didn`t catch it, it seamlessly combined both of my obsessions. Talk about efficient neurosis.

After I woke up from my fantasies of blended carrots and pears this morning, Mikel and I ate green tea pancakes. Matcha is my favorite flavor in Japan. If you can`t find it where you are, let me know! I`ll send you something to try! Anyway, we watched the rest of Fahrenheit 451 that we started last night (A superb movie, by the way. Many parts were filmed backwards, and then played the other way so actors movements are strange, almost mechanical.) After movie time, we hit the ground running. By that I mean, Mikel went and secluded himself in our tatami bedroom-turned-music-studio, and I hunched myself over Craft Land. When I am old I am going to be a hunchback. Maybe I can live in Paris...

I am really excited right now. I found a way to rationalize indulging in the miniature food that I love so much (ie. Rainbow Deli, etc.) I started to use them to make jewelry! So kawai (cute, in Japanese- meant to be said in a super high girly voice.) So fun, so weird. Just the right combo to make some stellar wearable art. Sure I may be the only person who wants to wear them, but how is that any different than usual? Just kidding. I have to have some humor about slow times in business making. What would the business be if not based on me having fun in my studio?

No pics today. Sorry. As a visual person, posting no pics should be against the rules, but as it is a fully craft-tastic day that started with a good example of my baby and food obsessions, I thought, what the heck!

By the way, I changed my blog yesterday so I can now accept anonymous comments. Sorry if you tried to leave one before and it got rejected. No one is more sorry than me since I pretty much assume that the only people who read this rambling thing is Michelle, Mikel, MV and Gramma (Hi guys! ...Err, girls and guy!) and if I do actually get a comment I do a little happy dance.


Finally, I have to remind all of you lovely readers about my sale at Beaded Weeds:
SALE SALE SALE!
Yay!
FREE SHIPPING FOR ONE MORE WEEK ONLY!
Beaded Weeds is a lovely place to shop for handmade, wearable and usable art.
Come check out


And remember, you`re not hardcore unless you live hardcore.
(Free kiss for anyone who can tell me what movie that`s from!)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to encourage a happy comment dance thus I write this comment =). I worried about your hunchback. Ever heard of the erganomically correct chairs? Maybe I will send you one for your Bday because lets be honest the present will be late now anyways, way late sinse you live in never never land. love you, Muah!
-C

Michelle Summers said...

You need to watch the nutrigrain commercial were the woman is saying "yeah, babies... babies everywhere" and looks possessed while doing it. It’s awesome and I tear up in laughter every time.. Good luck with craft time I love what I see so far;)

link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JC2gIPnUCgw

megan bisbee said...

Haha! That commercial is hilarious and a little too close to home... Thanks Michelle!

And Clare, I have heard of an erganomically correct chair (is that really how it's spelled?) but I think I am beyond help.

(Happy Dance for both of you ladies!!! Wiggle wiggle!)